Further reading on the subject
- Goodfriend, G.A. et al. 1994. Fossil evidence of recent human impact on the land snail fauna of Madeira. Journal of Biogeography, 21, 309-320.
- Keough, M.J. Quinn, G.P. King, A. 1993. Correlation between Human collecting and intertidal mollusk populations on rocky shores. Conservation Biology 7(2): 378-390.
- Newton, L. C., Parkes, E.V.H. & R. C. Thompson. 1993. The effects of shell collecting on the abundance of gastropods on Tanzanian shores. Biological Conservation 63:241-245.
- Obata, J. 1995. The decline of the landshells - genus Achatinella. Hawaiian Shell News 43(4):1,3.
- Wells, S.M. 1981. International trade in ornamental shells. Proc. 4th International Coral Reef Symposium, Manila 1:323-330
- Wells, S.M. & A.C. Alcala. 1987. Collecting of corals and shells. p. 13-17 [in] B. Salvat (ed.), Human impacts on coral reefs: facts and recommendations. Antenne Museum EPHE, French Polynesia.
- Wood, E. and S.M. Wells. 1995. The Shell Trade: A Case for Sustainable Utilization. pp. 41-52 [in] Kay, E. A. The Conservation Biology of Molluscs. Occasional Paper of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources Species Survival Commission (9). Gland, Switzerland. 81 pp.